Catnip Bug Spray
- Remove a few mature stalks
- Remove leaves from the stalks and cut into small pieces
- Place the pieces in a blender or food processor and make pulp
- Pour two cups of boiling water over the pulp and let steep for ten minutes
- Strain the solution into a spray bottle
- Store the spray in the refrigerator until you are ready to go outside – spray on clothing for protection
Catnip and Vinegar Bug Spray
- Mix 2 cups of catnip leaves with 3 cups of rice vinegar in a quart size mason jar.
- Store the jar in a dark place for about two weeks
- Strain the mixture and put into a spray bottle and refrigerate. Use on your skin and clothing to keep pests away
More Herbs & Plants With Insect Repellent Properties
9. Nasturtiums – These old-time favorites repel whiteflies, aphids, cabbage loopers, squash bugs, aphids and beetles
10. Chives – Are a great deterrent for flies, Japanese beetles, and aphids
11. Dill – Repels aphids, spider mites, cabbage loopers, squash bugs and tomato hornworms.
12. Oregano – Oregano is a flowering plant in the mint family that will help keep mosquitoes away. This culinary favorite does well in pots or raised beds.
13. Bee Balm – Bee balm is a favorite perennial plant of butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees but not mosquitoes.
14. Eucalyptus – Eucalyptus is a tree that is very effective at repelling a wide range of pests such as spiders.